Overseas Citizenship of India
OCI Card Application – The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, is not allowing Indian Citizens to acquire dual citizenship. Once they acquire foreign nationality, they need to renounce their Indian nationality. The Government of India will issue the Renunciation Certificate and stamp Indian Passport saying “canceled due to acquiring foreign nationality”.
Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) Card will be issued to foreign national of Indian Origin or eligible to become a citizen of India or spouse of OCI Cardholder or spouse of Citizen of India. As per the current process, Indian citizens must apply for renunciation before applying for OCI Card and attached renunciation certificate with the application. Indian Embassy in the USA is no more accept the application of renunciation together with OCI Card Application.
A foreign national can apply for an OCI Card:
- Who was entitled to become a citizen of India on 26th January 1950; OR
- Who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August 1947; OR
- Who is a child or a grandchild or a great-grandchild of such a citizen; OR
- Minor child of such persons mentioned above; OR
- Minor child and whose mother and father are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India is eligible to apply for OCI Card; OR
- The spouse of foreign origin of an Indian citizen or spouse of foreign origin of an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.
Anyone who is or if their parent or grandparents or great grandparents are/were citizens of Pakistan and Bangladesh cannot apply for OCI Card.
OCI Card Application
Indian Embassy, Washington, Consulate General Office, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco, and New York are processing OCI Card Application and states of the United States are divided as per jurisdiction.
They are not accepting OCI Card Application directly, an application must send through VFS Global
OCI Card Benefits
- Lifelong visa to visiting India for an indefinite period.
- Exemption from registration or reporting to the local police authority for any length of stay in India.
- Parity with NRIs in respect of financial, economic, and education fields except in matters relating to the purchasing of agricultural / plantation properties.
- Parity with Non-Resident Indians in the matter of inter-country adoption of Indian children.
- Parity with resident Indian nationals in matters of tariffs in domestic airfares.
- Parity with domestic Indian visitors regarding entry fees for visiting historical sites, national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, visiting national monuments, and museums in India.
- Working in the following professions – doctors, dentists, nurses and pharmacists, chartered accountants, advocates, and architects.
- You are not allowed dual citizenship.
- You have to renounce your Indian Passport.
- You have no voting rights.
- You cannot be a candidate for Rajya Sabha / Lok Sabha / Legislative Assembly / Council or a member of the House of the People or the Council of States.
- You cannot hold constitutional posts such as Judge of Supreme / High Court, President, Vice President, etc.
- You cannot normally hold Government employment in India.
Important: It is informed that CKGS is not any longer the service provider for OCI services for the Embassy of India. The contract with CKGS has been ended on October 31, 2020. Washington DC or its Consulates in Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, NY, and San Francisco. The new service provider VFS Global has started operations on November 04, 2020, and OCI services have been resumed.
We are USA based documentation facilitation service and helping Indian Origins of USA & Canada since 2016 to acquire or renew OCI Card without visiting Embassy or Consulate-General Office. Our experienced staff ensures that clients do not face any hassles, delays & other administration related issues, and receive their documents as expected.
DocumentationNow expertise will help you to avoid rejection or delays. We support until you received new or renewed document(s). We are in business since 2016 and having 2000+ satisfied customers all over Canada and USA. Our friendly staff is always available to answers all queries, such as eligibility for application, rules for children etc.
Call now for free assistance +1–346–374–6434
Follow us on Facebook
You may also like: How to Renew Indian Passport in USA
The gentleman was very professional and very thorough throughout the whole process of my NICOP. I highly recommend him for any documentation.
August 18, 2020
I got my Indian passport renewed with Mr.Faisal..service was very professional,didn’t have to worry on anything all documentation were up to mark.. recommend everyone to use this service to make things simple for you.. excellent service.. very satisfied ..will come again..Thank you Mr.Faisal
August 15, 2020
- Aamir Inayat Ali
August 8, 2020
Highly Recommended, I have made my NICOP through Documentationnow and they have a quick responding time. Have thorough knowledge on the work and helpful. Very supportive throughout the process. Always received quick response.
June 21, 2020
I got my NICOP and passport renewed with DocumentationNow. They were very clear with their instructions/process. They made the whole process very easy and were very prompt in responding. I found them very supportive throughout the process. Highly recommend Documentation Now!
June 18, 2020
i am totally satisfied of their services,I applied for my nicop. best documentation service and communication skills. Highly Recommended
June 18, 2020